Why Choose Us?
We believe that a healthier landscape means a healthier quality of life for you and your family. There’s nothing like looking out at a properly maintained lawn to make your home feel great. Even more, a properly maintained lawn increases your home’s value! We improve your lawn from the soil up. This restores soil health and encourages growth using biologically based nutrients.
It’s all about the soil. We don’t believe in just maintaining the grass on top, we make sure that we get to the “root” (pun intended) of what’s causing issues and tackle them on a case by case basis. You may not even need a whole lot!
What Is Aeration?
When you aerate it alleviates soil compaction. When the soil is compacted there are too many particles occupying one spot and nothing else is really allowed to get through. Excess lawn thatch or other debris under the grass’ surface can also keep essential elements from getting to these roots.
Should You Aerate?
- Does your lawn get heavy use? Children and pets running around contribute to compacted soil.
- Was your home newly constructed recently? Sometimes topsoil of new lawns is stripped or buried and construction traffic causes major compaction.
- Does it dry out easily or have a spongy feel? If you take a shovel dig down about 4 inches, look, and see that the thatch layer is greater than about half of an inch then aeration is definitely recommended.
- Was your lawn established by sod on top of the soil, creating layers? This means that soil of finer texture (that comes with sod) is laying over the existing soil underneath. Water is not allowed to get to the more coarse soil underneath and disrupts draining. Aerating breaks up this layering and allows water to flow through the soil to reach the roots.
Southern Maryland Landscaping and Lawn Care can check your lawn and tell you if aeration is needed. Our quality technicians are trained to know what’s needed and will never tell you that something is needed when it’s not. We truly care about your lawn!
When Should Your Lawn Be Aerated?
What Is Overseeding?
Overseeding is when grass seed is planted directly into existing turf without tearing up the surface of the turf or the soil. It’s a great way to fix bare spots in your lawn, improve density, and enhance the overall look of your lawn.
If your lawn looks old, worn out, or disease and insect prone, it’s a perfect candidate for overseeding.
When a lawn is properly overseeded it can totally renovate a lawn if at least half of the turf is healthy. If less than half is healthy, it might be better to just kill off anything current and reseed the whole thing for a more even and lush lawn.
Does Your Lawn Even Need Overseeding?
The Benefits of Aeration and Overseeding
- Maintains the healthy, thick appearance of your lawn
- Fixes and reduces soil compaction
- Keeps thatch under control
- Keeps insects and disease activity under control
If the lawn is looking a bit thin at this time, it’s a good idea to overseed. This has several processes working together to achieve optimum results.
Core aeration removes the thousands of plugs from the surface of the lawn. These plugs are made up of turf, thatch, and a small piece of the root system and some soil. The main purpose is to remove the thatch and loosen up the compaction in the soil. When the plugs are removed, some space is created for new root growth and allows nutrients to get into the soil.
Overseeding gives your lawn a rejuvenated, lush look! The process not only fills in any patches that are thin and makes your lawn look amazing, it can actually save you money later! Overseeding enhances your lawn’s health. It’ll respond better to mowing, watering, fertilizing, and day to day heavy use.
Warm or cold season, make sure you get your lawn overseeded and aerated during its growth spurt.
If your lawn could benefit from core aeration and overseeding, give us a call for a free estimate!
St Mary’s County
- Charlotte Hall
- Lexington Park
- St Mary’s city
- St Inigoes
- Piney point
- Swan point
- New berg
- Bel Alton
- St Charles
- La Plata
- Port tobacco
- Indian head
- Chesapeake beach
- Brighton woods
- Hunting town
- Woodland acres
- Prince Frederick
- Port Republic
- St Leonard
- Mutual consent
- Williams wharf
Anne Arundel County
- linthicum heights
- Glen burnie
- Fort Meade
- Edge water
- Shady side
We’re not only just a lawn care company. You’ll love working with us as many of our technicians love to talk about the area and really have a knack for connecting with you.
We feel that it is important to work with someone that you know.
Submit your review
I would definitely recommend Southern Maryland Landscaping and Lawn Care if you want the job done right! Great service and great people. Thanks guys!